Howdy Food Lovers!!
Now a great Veggie Burger is something I am always on the hunt for, especially when eating out. But they often lack in flavor and are full of tasteless fillers. The mark of a good restaurant in my eyes is a robust, moist and crazy tasty burger. But I can do that at home any day of the week….so I’m sharing with you my formula for an Epic bite.
My basic formula is this: 1 part cooked beans, 1 part cooked grain, 1 part cooked veggies, 3 Tbsp. ground Flax seeds and seasoning of your choice. That’s it!! Oh and a really good non stick fry pan is absolutely essential. I have tried to make these burgers in a regular pan with lots of oil and it just doesn’t work. They end up falling apart, although still very edible and delicious. I have Heritage Fry pans from Canadian Tire…they are nontoxic and very non stick, I can’t imagine my life without them.
So Mexican is definitely my flavor of choice. The seasonings I’ve used in this mix is fresh Lime juice, Cumin, Mexican Chili Blend and Garlic. You could easily do up an Italian version with fresh Parsley, Italian Herb mix and White Beans or Indian based with Curry Powder, Chick peas and Fried Onions. The options are limitless and with the basic recipe you don’t need to worry about having exact ingredients on hand. I almost never follow any recipe to the tee. If I don’t have all the ingredients on hand a simple substitution can easily easily be made. With that being said just make sure to always have staples in your pantry like Flax Seeds (which I keep ground in the freezer), fresh lemons/limes, various raw nuts/seeds (kept refrigerated), herbs and spices, canned and dried beans, various non gluten grains, extra firm organic tofu and canned organic tomatoes or tomato sauce. Add in a few fresh veggies and you can make almost anything worth eating any day of the week.
I have served the burger with my amazing Vegan Roasted Garlic Caesar Salad Dressing which I will be posting soon!! But any condiments and sides work as well. So here goes the recipe!
BLACK BEAN VEGGIE BURGER
1 heaping cup of cooked Black Beans
1 cup cooked Quinoa
1/2 cup finely chopped Onions
1/2 cup finely chopped Cauliflower
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
3 cloves Garlic minced
1 1/2 Tsp. ground Cumin
1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
1 Tsp. Sea Salt
1/2 Tsp. Mexican Chili Powder (leave this out if you are making for your kids or don’t like hot spices)
3 Tbsp. ground Flax Seed
Juice of 1 Lime
Coconut Oil for frying
- Place Onion, Celery, Garlic, Cauliflower and all seasonings except Lime Juice into a frying pan and cook for 5 – 10 minutes with 1 Tsp. Coconut Oil over medium/high heat until veggies have softened.
- Add the veggies to a medium sized bowl with the remaining ingredients. If you are using canned beans rinse and drain them. The organic canned ones I used was almost exactly 1 cup (just a bit over, but no big deal).
- Using a fork mash the beans into the other ingredients and stir until everything has come together.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Using an ice cream scoop, portion out into 8 burgers, using a damp hand to flatten out.
- Cook 4 per frying pan over medium heat with 1-2 Tsp. Coconut Oil, about 5 minutes per side. Don’t over crowd the pan or it will be too hard to flip them.
- Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate for another meal.
Love Jennifer xoxo